LED vs. Halogen Lights, A Tech Talk Comparison

SHARE IT!

Rigid Industries LED (light-emitting diode) lights offer significant advantages over halogen lights. This article explains how LEDs work and the multiple reasons why it should be utilized over other lighting sources.

LED spot light does not make use of filaments that are heated up during the working process to generate light. This means the heat dissipation in LED spot lights is a great deal less. Unlike in fluorescent lamps, there is no use of toxic substances like mercury. LED spot lights are in turn environmentally friendly and do not interfere with the surrounding objects either to harm them or distort their appearance.

Another big difference is the lifespan. Rigid LEDs can last up to 80k hours, and Halogen light bulbs only last 2-6k hours. When a halogen bulb lives out its 2-6k lifespan, it pops and can no longer be used and need to be changed out constantly. However, an LED light can withstand its 80k hour lifespan and continue to live another 80k hours just at a dimmer light output without constantly having to change it out.

Here’s how they work: LED lights produce light by running an arc of electrical current between each electrode. In the halogen’s case, electricity is used to heat up tungsten filaments to produce light. The method to generate light used by the LED fitting is much more efficient than a halogen bulb because only about 10% of the energy that goes into a halogen is actually converted to light. The other 90% is given off as heat; the energy that goes into an LED light can be as high as 80% light and 20% heat.

With low power consumption and no start-up current, LED lights can all be turned on at the same time without overloading an office or building’s power generators. Unlike their predecessors, halogen lights have a standard start up current of 18 amps. This means that the lights must be turned on slowly and in sections, in some cases taking up to 25 minutes to have all the lights on at once in a large office/building.

 

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply